Creamy Comfort Vegan Soup
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup raw cashews, soaked for at least 3-4 hours
- 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, chopped into bite size pieces
- 2 large celery stalks, chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can chickpeas
- 2-3 cups baby spinach or kale, chopped
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tso dried basil
- 1/8 tsp cayenne powder
- Add cashews to a mason jar or small bowl, cover in water, and let soak for overnight or at least 3-4 hours. In a rush? For a quick-soak method, soak the cashews in boiled water for 30 to 60 minutes. Drain and rinse the cashews.
- In a high speed blender, blend together drained cashews and 1 cup of the vegetable broth. Blend until smooth and set aside.
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and diced onion and sauté for about 3-5 minutes, or until the onion is translucent. Season generously with sea salt and pepper.
- Next, add the chopped carrots, bell pepper, sweet potato, celery, and diced tomatoes with their juices, the remaining 5 cups broth to the large pot. Add in seasonings. Stir well to combine. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce back down to medium-low. Season with additional salt and black pepper.
- Let the soup simmer for abut 20 minutes uncovered, or until vegetables are tender. Stir occasionally. During the last 5 minutes of cooking, stir in the blended cashew & broth, spinach (or kale), and drained chickpeas. Add additional spices & seasonings if desired.
- Enjoy immediately! Freezer-friendly: can freeze up to 6 weeks.